This post is sponsored but all opinions are my own.
Recently, I have started on a low sodium diet for my heart. I was diagnosed with a heart murmur back in 2015 and I also have hypertension. Just as a reminder, I am only 28 years old. I certainly don't want to live the rest of my life with problematic blood pressure so my doctor told me to go on a low sodium diet to get the pressure down. But going from salting a lot of your already salted food to having food with barely any salt at all is a challenge. And it is taking some getting used to for me to find out what I can eat safely anymore.
For the most part, I am eating a lot of fruits and vegetables. Also I am cooking my own food for all my meals as well. And when I cook, I am only using fresh ingredients.
It's been fun trying out new recipes to see just what I like now. I really like to experiment with dinner because it gives you so much wiggle room. Since my husband bought two family packs of chicken legs about a week ago, I started thinking of what I could make with them. Fresh ingredients were going to be key so I decided on a lot of fruits and vegetables too.
Since we shop at Food City, I went through to get my ingredients which included Indian River Select Brand Orange Juice. I was so happy to see that Food City now carries Indian River juices. They currently have 59oz Valencia, 59oz Ruby Red Grapefruit Juice and 59oz Original Orange Juice. I picked the Original Orange juice which has 0 sodium in it too.
This recipe is really easy to make and it's perfect to keep you warm on a rainy night. We've been having major thunderstorms for the past two days so when it rains, I like to curl up with something warm.
Cooking Time - 30 minutes
Serving Size - 3
- Chicken legs with thighs attached
- Onion powder, no salt
- 2 cans no salt added diced tomatoes
- 2 orange bell peppers, sliced
- Pinch of pepper
- 1/2 cup of Indian River Select Brand Orange Juice
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic power, no salt
- 1 orange, peeled and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place chicken pieces into a roasting pan. Add in the Indian River Select Brand Orange Juice, lemon juice, chicken broth and honey. Stir to mix around the chicken.
- Add in the diced tomatoes, bell peppers and orange slices around and over chicken.
- Sprinkle onion powder, pepper, ginger, garlic powder and parsley over top.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Have you ever tried Indian River Select Brand Orange Juice? If not, make sure to sign up for their "Loyal Customer List" to receive monthly printable coupons.