Growing up I lived in Florida for ten years of my life. In all that time, I went on many boat rides in all shapes and sizes. My first fishing trip actually was when I was seven years old and I caught a Sunfish. Believe me, as a kid I was so proud of myself!
Another boating trip I remember was as a second grader when we went on a field trip to an island. We got there by boat and our entire class could fit on it! That trip was very fun and I'll never forget dancing when I got off the boat!
And of course like any other Floridian, my dad and I went on a lot of Everglades Airboat Tours together. For some reason, I loved alligators growing up so seeing them always made my day!
But while boating can be fun, it can also be very dangerous. Boating is a leading cause of injury or death in recreation so here are some safety tips for boating that you should always consider.
- Don't drink and drive a boat
- Wear a life vest at all times
- Know the rules of navigation on the waterways
- Check the weather before you leave
- Take a boater safety course
- Always keep safety equipment on board
- Don't speed
- Keep paddles and an anchor on board in case the motor stops working
- Always have a way to call for help with you
- Keep a weather radio on board
Following these tips can help you have a fun boating experience this summer!