I'm sure everyone knows about my extreme love for birds already so it would be obvious that almost everything I do revolves around...you guessed it...BIRDS!
Bird's Nest Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Buttercream frosting
- 3 cups shredded sweetened coconut, toasted
- Candy chocolate eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin cups with cupcake liners; set aside.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Reduce speed to medium and add eggs one at a time, beating to incorporate fully after each and scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add flour mixture, alternating with buttermilk and ending with the flour. Beat in vanilla. The batter should be smooth and very thick.
- Fill prepared muffin cups halfway full with batter; transfer to oven and bake until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Frost cooled cupcakes; sprinkle with coconut, pressing to adhere. Using your thumb, make a well in the center of each scoop of buttercream; fill with chocolate eggs.